Standard Edition (Gold)
Vector Linux STANDARD provides a lean
and mean Linux system. It is optimized for use on older computers
and is surprisingly lightweight, fast and stable. It contains best
of breed applications for every task. Despite being "light weight", it is a complete Linux
workstation system, including compilers, multimedia and office applications. The most recent release of VL Standard is version 5.8 Gold, released in December 2007. Highlights of v5.9 are:
- a fun, fast and easy installer with good hardware detection. Install time is only about 10-15 minutes on modern computers.
- the latest xfce v4.4 desktop environment - a comprehensive, good-looking, fast and user friendly desktop which consumes few system resources.
- VASM: a powerful system administration utility.
- VASMCC: a user-friendly GUI interface to VASM.
- gslapt and slapt-get for easy, automated package downloading, upgrading, installation and maintanance.
- vl-hot system, for detection and auto-mounting of USB storage devices, low resources.
- HAL system, as above, but for more modern computers as it is more resource intensive.
- Seamonkey integrated Internet suite with browser, calendar, contacts, email ,newsgroups, irc chat and HTML editor. The Firefox, Opera and the Dillo browsers are also available as optional installs.
- Many other Internet applications including Pidgin, XChat, gFTP, Lynx, nmapFE, pyNeighborhood.
- AbiWord word processing, Gnumeric spreadsheet, Bluefish HTML editing system.
- vcpufreq: for reducing CPU frequency on supported processors, mainly for laptops to save power.
- vwifi: a special version of WiFi manager for help configuring various wireless cards and networks.
- MPlayer, Xine and xmms for multimedia and entertainment - for music
and video and web content streaming.
- vsmbmount: a Samba connectivity tool.
- vpackager: an automated system for compiling ad packaging VL packages from source code.
- CUPS Printing System
VectorLinux Standard is the foundation of
the other VL editions and is ideally suited for a workstation on older
computers. It can be run effectively on a Pentium 200 with 128MB of RAM and 3GB of hard drive space. On a more modern
computer it really flies!
It is recommended that your system
meets these requirements:
- Pentium 200 or better compatible processor
(i586 and up).
- minimum of 2.9GB of hard disk space for the entire system (less if you choose to install only certain packages), plus additional space for swap (virtual memory) and personal files.
- 128 MB of memory - but 256 MB will greatly improve performance.
- Suitable Video card and Monitor.
- Standard mouse, keyboard, sound card,
If you are ready to try VL Standard it is completely free to download. If
you would like to support future VectorLinux development, try our "Deluxe Edition"
which is for sale for a nominal fee and provides you with more
support and 1000MB of additional software on a second CD.
Vector Linux was founded by Robert S. Lange of Canada. After gaining popularity, more developers joined the project, making VL-development a truly international endeavour. You too can join us at the Vector Linux Forum.
Hope to see you there soon!