Vector Linux STANDARD provides a lean
and mean Linux system. It is surprisingly lightweight, fast and
stable. It contains best of breed applications for every task.
Despite being "light weight", it is a complete Linux workstation
system, including compilers, multimedia and office applications.
The most recent release of VL Standard is version 6.0 "Voyager",
released in February 2009. Highlights of v6.0 Standard
- a choice of a very intuitive graphical
installer or a fast and easy text-based installer, both with great
hardware detection. Install time is only about 12-25 minutes on
- the latest xfce v4.4.3 desktop environment
- a comprehensive, good-looking, fast and user friendly desktop
which consumes few system resources.
- VASM: a powerful system administration
- VASMCC: a user-friendly GUI interface to
- gslapt and slapt-get for easy, automated
package downloading, upgrading, installation and maintenance.
- a choice of either our vl-hot system or
the HAL system for detection and auto-mounting of USB storage
- Seamonkey integrated Internet suite with
browser, calendar, contacts, email ,newsgroups, irc chat and HTML
editor. Firefox, Opera and the Dillo browsers are also available as
additions during the install process.
- Many other Internet applications including
Pidgin, XChat, gFTP, Lynx, nmapFE, pyNeighborhood.
- AbiWord word processing, Gnumeric
spreadsheet, Bluefish HTML editing system.
- vcpufreq: for reducing CPU frequency on
supported processors, mainly for laptops to save power.
- WiCD: a WiFi daemon which makes connecting
to various wireless networks very easy and intuitive.
- vwifi: a special version of WiFi manager
for help configuring various wireless cards and networks.
- MPlayer, Xine and xmms for multimedia and
entertainment - for music and video and web content streaming.
- vsmbmount: a Samba connectivity tool.
- vpackager: an automated system for
compiling and packaging VL packages from source code.
- CUPS Printing System
VectorLinux Standard is the foundation of
the other VL editions and is ideally suited for a workstation on
older computers. It can be run effectively on a Pentium 200 with
256MB of RAM and 3.4GB of hard drive space. On a more modern
computer it really flies!