Fatdog64-801 Final Release Notes
Fatdog64-801 Final was released on 3 May 2019.
Fatdog64-801 GNU/Linux is the second release of Fatdog64 800 series, which is based on LFS 8.2/CLFS 2017.07.
This release is mainly a bug fix release, combining all the
bugfixes and minor feature updates that has happened since 800 release.
This release is approximately 300 commits after 800 release.
As usual Fatdog64 does not upgrade from any older version.
Especially there is a rather large desktop/WM infrastructure changes to
better support running other desktops (e.g. xfce) and tricky graphics
cards such as nvidia optimus.
If you are updating from earlier series (721 or older), it is highly recommended to view Fatdog64 800 Release Notes in order to see what have changed.
Please report all bugs to the forum support thread.
Changes from 800:
- Many static utilities in initrd are updated to either most recent versions, or versions identical to basesfs
- linux-4.19.32 with support for snd-soc (some chromebooks)
- cups-filter updated to 1.22.5, now properly supports printing to shared CUPS printer
- grub4dos 0.4.6a, with support 64-bit ext4
- rdesktop 1.8.4
- xf86-video-xfbdev 1.5.0
- yad 0.42.0
- mc 4.8.22
- civetweb 1.11
- musl-libc 1.1.22
- mmview 20190409
- xtrlock to lock screen without blanking (e.g. for watching movies etc).
- magdock: home-grown screen magnifier by SFR
- UExtract and PackIt are now included in the base by popular demand
- JWM now uses dynamic menu (sort of) using jwm-xdgmenu
- LXC sandbox now supports network (proxy ARP or NAT), and more secure desktop emulation
- UML sandbox now supports NAT (previously only supported proxy ARP)
- lxqt-panel-qt5 now includes temp sensor
- vlc: ability to stream-out to chromecast devices, and stream-in from DLNA/NAS
- various infrastructure changes to better support running other WMs, other desktops (other than Rox), and nvidia optimus
- efiboot.img/grub2-efi: support UEFI PXE booting (thanks to gcmartin's insistence)
- run-as-spot fixes, now libreoffice can be launched from web browser (e.g. download and view)
- fontconfig fixes, now spot and root can share fonts (fixes evince not showing text when run as root)
- Better MBP support out of the box (thanks to mavrothal)
- xorg-server, xf86-video-vesa, xf86-video-fbdev: restore support for 24bpp vesa and fbdev
- fatdog-remaster fixes as identified in forum thread
- busybox rebuild with various upstream patches and fixes
- fatdog-default-soundcard: OSS remapping now persistent across reboots
- Bluetooth applet is still missing. In the interim please use CLI or check this out: http://murga-linux.com/puppy//viewtopic.php?t=115122
Note: these lists are not exhaustive.