Fatdog64-700 Release Notes
Fatdog64-700 was released on 22 February 2015.
Fatdog64-700 is first release of Fatdog64 700 series, a new major series of
Fatdog64 Linux, replacing the venerable Fatdog64-600 (whose last release
This is the first official release of Fatdog64-700, after a series of
test releases (alpha1, beta1, beta2, rc) over the course of over
Rebuilt from the ground up, Fatdog64 is now based on LFS (Linux From Scratch)
and BLFS (Beyond LFS). The base of Fatdog64-700 is based on LFS 7.5
(the latest when the first alpha of 700 was released);
this final release have many packages updated to the later or
latest BLFS packages.
For new users:
Changes from Fatdog64 631:
- All new base packages built from LFS and BLFS 7.5
- Linux 3.18.77
- Gcc 4.8.3
- Glibc 2.19
- GTK+ 2.24.25 with Glib 2.38
- Qt 4.8.5 (partial)
- ALSA 188.8.131.52
- ffmpeg 2.1.3
- CUPS 1.7.2
- Abiword 3.0
- openssl 1.0.2
- Seamonkey 2.32
- Flash plugin 184.108.40.2062
- ffDiaporama replaces avidemux
- gslapt replaces Fatdog Package Manager
- Various system tools updates
- Hundreds of other package upgrades.
- Change of package format from PET packages to Slackware-style TXZ packages
- Xorg now installed to /usr. There is no more /usr/X11, /usr/X11R6, or /usr/X11R7
- All 64-bit libraries now live in /lib64 and /usr/lib64.
/lib and /usr/lib are now reserved for 32-bit libraries.
- /lib and /usr/lib are no longer bind-mounted (or symlinked) to /lib64 and /usr/lib64.
- Internationalisation. Many scripts are now gettext-ed,
thanks to the continous effort from forum member L18L
- German language pack in fd64-nls and in fatdog-i18n package, thanks to L18L
- Firefox is not included, but will be downloaded upon first access.
- Google-chrome is not included, but will be downloaded upon first access.
- Firefox/flashplayer/google-chrome updaters
- Volume labels on drive icons
- fatdog-clean-whiteout.sh script to clean aufs whiteouts.
- Updaters (and installers) for flash-plugin, Firefox, Google-Chrome, and Java
(in addition to LibreOffice installer from 631).
and numerous bug fixes and fine tunings.
Major contributor in this release is L18L who has worked tirelessly to make Fatdog64 more usable for non-English users (Fatdog64-600 series was strictly English-only).
For beta testers:
Changes from 700rc:
- Linux 3.18.7
- Various fixes from problems reported in 700rc forum thread.
- getjava script to download latest java and pack it as SFS.
Special thanks to SFR and all our testers during alpha, beta1, beta2 and rc stages.
For earlier releases, see here: Fatdog64